Thursday, October 18, 2007

Yelp is persistently on my radar

Ever since last year, my eyes have been on Yelp. There's a stickiness to it that's undeniable (community, common interest (mostly food), local search, positive feedback circles via votes, compliments). I really like writing on it. I like going back to read my entries. And I use it heavily once out of college (i.e. started doing things other than work!). With the growth spurt of location based services, if not at least the buzz, I'm expecting this one to be in the ball court, along with the Google Maps and Jaiku realm. Just checked out Yelp on Alexa and Compete. Site traffic has steadily increased, and there's a spike this month. Lookin' good, Yelp!

Three terms I have my eyes glued to:
Presence technology
Local Search
Location-Based Services.

And by default, "social mapping", which I am helping define and will be talking more about.

Be it fixed location or mobile, location certainly is the "in", in continuing to make the web, and also mobility, more useful, usable, and one thing even big companies are starting to get -- sociable.

I just remembered something. While interviewing with Google for a products position last year, the interviewers asked me to envision the next hot product. I was thinking about a globe and being able to see where your friends are in real time. Well, hello! :) Alanis Morissette's Ironic is playing in my head...

1 comment:

Jonathan said...

I completely agree. I was actually thinking a lot about Yelp today. I wonder how they managed to get a set of such high quality reviews.

There are plenty of review sites out there for everything including products and restaurants, but Yelp somehow manages to keep all the posted content relevant, non-spammy, and useful. I'm continually amazed how accurate it is.